The Slow Spread of Socialism
Charges of socialism, fascism, racism, and communism are flying around, and have been flying around, for quite some time. Many who use those attacks hardly know their meaning and are just hoping for some response. But not all of these charges are unfounded. Some people are using these terms correctly. That’s why so many people are using these charges; someone used them correctly and people responded well because the charge was true. The charge of socialism and communism is well founded.
- A political theory or system in which the means of production and distribution are controlled by the people and operated according to equity and fairness rather than market values
- A political movement based on principles of socialism, typically advocating an end to private property and to the exploitation of workers.
- In Marxist theory, the stage after the proletarian revolution when a society is changing from capitalism to communism, marked by pay distributed by work done rather than need.
According to Encarta, that’s socialism. What socialism (and kind of what communism) is in plainer terms: A political system where a big benevolent government takes care of your every need as determined by that same government, and where everyone is ‘placed’ on the same level (equal). The government accomplishes this by stealing from the “haves” and giving to the “have nots”.
(I’m going to assume you know that socialism doesn’t work, but in case you don’t, Rassmussen Reports that only 57% of adults believe that Capitalism is better than socialism, and 20% believe Socialism is better than Capitalism. You won’t be alone.)
I have several reasons for saying that Socialism is slowly creeping in:
- The high taxes on the rich and the talk of higher taxes. Take from the haves and give to the have nots. Not everyone can be rich, so everyone must be poor. Not that anyone would phrase it that way.
- The many social programs we have and the talk about universal health care. “We’re the government and we’re here to save you” attitude is very socialist and very expensive. Only God can save people from themselves.
- The number of people who no longer are worried about Socialism. Now that we aren’t fighting communism and socialism, it must be okay to adopt. The founding fathers were not stupid men. I believe they had some divine help. The government they set up will work if you make it.
- The size and continuing growth of our government. The government has one purpose to defend you. They defend you against enemy nations, criminals, and accused criminals from being sent to jail if innocent. Everything else is expendable.
- The huge number of laws we have and are adding to. If you thought your friends were control freaks, wait until you see socialist governments.
These are all socialist programs and policies. Some of these programs seemed like good ideas at the time, all of these have turned out disasters.
One last thought; many well known socialists and communists have said that socialism and communism won’t come to America openly, they will come as government programs and laws. Someday we will just wake up realise we are socialist. I always admired Russia…